Friday, May 20, 2011

Magazine Madness

Majority of women I know buy magazines and often and more than one per month.  I decided this week that I would clear out all the magazines prior to 2010.  I was looking at the prices of some of them and am fairly surprised at the amount of money my household has spent (namely G-man and myself) on magazines. 

There is the once-in-a-blue-moon purchase of the Conde Naste Home and Garden which in 2008 was R32.95.  It's not a regular one, but between us, we have bought a few.  Another one, purchased more often is Garden and Home or Home ... not quite as expensive, but if you buy both issues in month it's around R70. 

Then there's my addictions, namely Woman and Home, She, Fair Lady, Oprah, Marie Claire and Psychologies and what was a regular, but now a once-in-a-blue-moon purchase of Shape. 

Once is a while, there's a random purchase like Joy, Femina or Essentials.  I know that I don't read all the magazines from cover to cover and sometimes, do little more than page through and drool over the clothing or recipes.  Therefore, I think I need to cure myself of this addiction and decide only 'some'.  So I'm in a quandary - which one's do I keep on purchasing and which do I cull?

I would keep purchasing Psychologies as it's more about life skills and self development and an area of immense interest for me.  But as for the lifestyle and fashion mags - I need to make a choice namely between Woman & Home and Fairlady.

So that makes me curious - which in your opinion are the 'best and why'?

And here is my fashion inspiration of the day ... which I based my outfit on, but did not get around to photographing as both my SD cards were upstairs at my laptop.

source : http://www.fairlady.com/

My outfit consisted of the following items:
Denim skirt : Truworths | Polka dot shirt : Contempo | Purple pullover : DH at Truworths | Booties :  Woolworths|

4 comments:

  1. I love magazines, both fashion and non-. They keep us informed of trends and, more important, inspire us. Most of the ones you read aren't available here so I can't comment on them. I subscribe to Glamour and The New Yorker and read every issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped buying magazines almost a year ago and now only buy one now and then...usually the Your Family or the Woman and Home. I find the Woman and Home inspirational for us "slightly older" women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really into magazines! I dislike "women" magazines and the only ones I buy from time to time are DIY and decorating/architectural ones! Have a nice weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynette - I agree about the Woman and Home - but tell me please, how do you break the 'addiction'! lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - I love hearing others feelings and appreciate your time. Please be honest - BUT kind.

Have a fabulous day now and I'll be coming round to visit you as soon as I can.

Thanks again, Wendy